Spring has finally arrived here in Australia and my subsequent bout of spring cleaning has given me an overwhelming need to declutter!
It may also be because I and many of my friends have been cleaning our mother’s homes, as they have sadly needed to go into care. Mind you our wonderful mothers are all in the mid or late nineties and have had amazing lives. The stories they tell!
We have lived close to the river all of our lives and and a friend from the US calls us the “River Ladies”
So while spring cleaning my pantry cupboard I came across a couple of packets of quinoa. Since I have not really eaten or cooked with it much I decided to explore some quinoa recipes for guidance and inspiration. In my search, I found lots of delicious, healthy recipes and would love to share one with you… including a fool-proof way to cook perfectly fluffy quinoa.
Perfectly fluffy quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa in a colander under running water for a few at least 30 seconds and drain well. (I always wash my grains well and was once taught by my ayurvedic doctor to wash my basmati rice seven times).
- Use twice as much water in the saucepan as quinoa, then cook uncovered until all of the water is absorbed. The time varies depending on how large a quantity you are cooking; approximately 10 minutes for a small portion.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat once the water is absorbed. Put a lid on the saucepan and steam the quinoa for 5 minutes. The quinoa will pop open into a lovely fluffy perfection.
- Then remove the lid and stir with a fork to fluff the quinoa (the same with rice).
- Season with salt of your choice and pepper if desired.
The best Quinoa Salad
by Cookie + Kate
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
2 cups of water
1 1/2cups cooked chickpeas
1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
1 medium red capsicum, chopped
3/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 cup finely chopped Italian or flat leafed parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon red vinegar
2 or 3 pressed garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon sea or Himalayan salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Cook the quinoa and leave to cool.
2. Combine the chickpeas, cucumber, capsicum, onion and parsley in a large bowl.
3. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and salt either in a glass jar with a screw on lid and shake well or into a small bowl and whisk.
4. Add the cooled quinoa to the vegetables and chickpeas and drizzle the dressing over the top. then toss the mixture together adding a little black pepper and salt if required.
Leave for 10 minutes for the flavours to be absorbed.
Enjoy this delicious nutritious recipe!
Remember these are my ideas for a healthy lifestyle so check with your medical practitioner if you have any concerns.