Vitamins and Supplements
Now’s a great time to visit your Doctor or Naturopath and have a health check with them. Naturopaths have an amazing knowledge of herbs and vitamins and can prescribe tonics and vitamins to support the body and mind throughout this change and to also provide support and help to calm the nervous system.
I used a good Vitamin B Complex and also Mag Cal or Cal Mag (Magnesium & Calcium), depending on the brand and also a tonic personally prescribed for me.
You may be finding some of the physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal are proving difficult to deal with – some of the lesser known ones are sleep issues, nausea, constipation, dizziness, and some people even experience flu-like symptoms. Make sure you let your doctor or naturopath know all of these so that they can recommend tonics and supplements that are right for you and your symptoms.
Here’s a detoxing tea recipe that I’ve found helpful (thanks to doctor.ndtv.com) – it contains ginger that helps ease nausea, and turmeric, which has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine for treating respiratory conditions. Turmeric contains curcumin – which has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties. Here’s a good article I read about the current research around the anti-inflammatory properties of Turmeric. Feel free to do your own research as well, though!
Turmeric ginger tea
- 1 small piece of ginger root
- 400 grams of clean, chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric
- 1 litre water
- Honey to taste (preferred)
- Boil water in a pot and then add the ginger root and onions.
- Grate some more ginger into the water and add the turmeric.
- Decrease the temperature and let the ingredients boil for several minutes.
- The longer the mixture boils, the more intense the flavour will be.
You’re doing great!